Learn How to Make the perfect Greek Frappé. You will undoubtedly have fond memories of, or be thinking about, lying on the beach in Santorini, quad biking around Mykonos, exploring the Greek island of Kefalonia, or having fun in the birthplace of Greek frappe, Thessaloniki, and you will definitely be thinking about drinking the refreshing iced coffee drink, the traditional Greek Frappé.
Greek frappé is a foam-covered iced coffee drink, made from spray-dried instant coffee, water and sugar. The Greek frappé was said to been made in 1957 at the annual Thessaloniki International Fair. The Nestle sales representative had no hot water and needed to find a different way to showcase the instant coffee. (source)
Greek Frappé, and frappes in general are now a global drink, because many Greek people moved to different countries and bought many of their fabulous food and drinks to the rest of the world.
Flickr Image Tilemahos Efthimiadis
How to Make the perfect Greek Frappé
- Put two to three teaspoons of high-quality instant coffee, like Nescafe Classic into a shaker. The Greek Nescafe is the most authentic, because it produces the foam needed for an authentic frappe, and you can purchase it through Amazon.
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of ice cold water
- Add 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar.
- Start shaking for about 25-30 seconds until you will see foam start to form.
- add about a cup of water, and 4 few ice cubes, a little milk and stir it all up.
- Serve in a lovely frappe glass, which you can purchase at this link, and always serve with a straw and you are ready to go.
If you can’t be in Greece drinking Greek Frappé , at least you can recreate the scene at home with this How to Make the perfect Greek Frappé